Friday, August 15, 2014

The Midnight Special {A Writing Update}

Folks, as the Justice of the Peace said in that fabulous Little House on the Prairie episode, "This is going to be the midnight special: short and sweet." :-)


{If you haven't seen this episode, I highly recommend it makes it to the top of your to-watch list.}


Did I meet my goal?

Yes! :-) Praise the Lord, I wrote slightly over my word-count goal that I set at the beginning of August ... Right now, my draft of "The Geranium Story" runs at just over 70,000 words. {This is a working title only.} Funny, I thought this story would just make it into novella territory {20,000 words}, but a couple of wonderful characters appeared one day and twisted things around a bit -- well, quite a lot, actually!

Is this first draft done?

Not quite. When I set that word-count goal, I thought that it would finish the first draft. It didn't, and that's okay because I think we're getting a richer and fuller story as a result. However, stories should always leave you wanting a little more/should always let your imagination fill in some gaps ... so my best guess right now? The final first draft will rest around 80,000. So, there's another bit to write yet, but I know pretty much where all of that writing will go. {The basic ending is already done, so this is filler.}

 

What is this story about?

Overall? It's about how God works all things in this fallen, oh-so-sinful world together for the good of those who love Him ... and about how He longs to bring His people to Himself.

 

What's next?

Well, I'm finishing up this first draft, then weeding through it to ensure basic consistency with names and ages. {They've changed a couple of times!} Then, it goes off to my beta-readers {a fancy name for non-professional proofreaders}. Then I revise again. And again. And again. :-) From there? Off to be published, Lord willing and the crick don't rise.

Thank you, dear readers, who pray for me and my writing ... May our Lord be pleased with it, and may He use it to minister to His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting ... Feedback is always helpful! {All comments are moderated and may take a short while to display.}