Friday, May 29, 2015

11 Questions: A Response to the Liebster Award :-)

Though I don't always have the time to respond to blogging awards, they're sometimes a lot of fun! :-) You get the opportunity to link with other bloggers whose blogs you can recommend... You learn more about people whom you only know via media... and it's a delightful call-back to that childhood game of tag. ;-) Raechel at "God's Peculiar Treasure Rae" tagged me with 11 questions.
Here it goes - Enjoy! :-)

1) What is the driving passion of your life?

The driving passion of my life is, to paraphrase Philippians 3,to know Christ, to gain Him and to be found in Him, not having my own righteousness but the righteousness that comes through faith in Christ. I want to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death so that I might be counted among those whom He raises from the dead. Christ. In comparison to that, everything this world has to offer is worthless!

2) Do you have a (few) favourite books? If so what are they?

Just a few!?!? ;-) Here are some of my tried-and-true favorites - As you'll see, my reading is very varied :-) -- 








3) Characters. How do you feel about them? Do you write them, or enjoy them from ‘afar’ (reading, movies, etc. Which really isn’t from ‘afar’. One can get really attached to characters…like I do!)?

Usually, I feel like I really know the characters I write about. :-) Sometimes, because they're more often than not historical, I catch myself thinking about them as if they really lived and died. I always feel terrible if I completely close a story to any sequel; that's seems to be the equivalent of saying that everything written before was only pretend. :-) I create Pinterest boards with some of my characters, too. Here are some that I'm writing about now: Sequel to The Fragrance of Geraniums Pinterest board
and I'm looking forward to returning to this young lady in the near future - Jemima Sudbury:



4) How do you like to spend your free time?
A winter sunset near our home
All sorts of ways. :-) Writing is "work" for me, so I don't count that as part of leisure-time. I love to go for walks; we live by the sea right now, so that's a lovely place to see the sun set. I enjoy watching good movies like the Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South and Miss Potter (which is a striking film based on the life of Beatrix Potter - love that one!). Occasionally, I do craft projects and concoct ways to get around using a sewing machine. :-) Oh, and read, of course!

5) What got you blogging in the first place?

I became interested in blogging several years before I actually started, but what propelled me forward was the publication of my first novel, The House of Mercy. I wanted to have a front-porch, if you will, to sit with readers, friends, and other authors, discussing what makes books and our lives tick.

6) Are you a tea drinker or a coffee drinker?

Both, actually. I know, most people are one or the other, but, like Elizabeth Bennett says, "I take pleasure in many things." :-) I do NEED well-brewed coffee in the morning - preferably hazelnut, but I'm not super-picky as long as it contains caffeine. In the evenings, bring me some peppermint tea as-is, and I'll find it delightful. :-) No iced tea, though. Iced coffee? Yes, please.
Time for coffee on a day-trip!

7) How many novels/stories have you written (unpublished, or published)?

Yikes! I have no idea, if we're including unpublished. I wrote a lot of short stories from first-grade onward, but most of those are all filed away. By God's grace, I have three novels published as of today. Here they are: 


8) Favourite animal?

Can I have a grumble? Pretty-please? ;-) {A herd of pugs is called a "grumble." Really. I promise.} Just kidding; pugs aren't my absolute favorite. But I'm not sure that I have a "favorite." I love all sorts of animals. Getting to know them individually is wonderful. Right now, we have house bunnies {Yes, they romp somewhat freely around areas of the house.}, a cranky cockatiel, a neurotic zebra finch, and an emotionally-troubled pug. We have a tendency to collect anything no one else wants, so there you go! There's lots of love - and feathers and fur - to go around. :-)
The emotionally-troubled (but festive!) Mr. Pinch,
named after the character in Martin Chuzzlewit

9) Do you have a favourite Fairy Tale?

Oh, yes! George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin, The Prncess and Curdie, and also his Phantastes.
 If we're talking more along the lines of Disney, then Sleeping Beauty is my all-time favorite.

10) How about a favourite book of the Bible?

The Lord speaks to me through different passages at different times, but I always tend to return to the Psalms, the Gospel of John, and Jeremiah.

11) What are some of your hobbies, in addition to writing? :)

I don't have too many regular hobbies anymore - not enough time! :-) But I enjoy watercolor painting, playing piano, reading, and baking. Here's a yummy recipe I found recently:
Amish Cinnamon Bread - It tastes so good! :-)

Thanks for the questions, Raechel! If anyone would like to join in this game, consider yourself tagged. :-) Answer the eleven questions above on your own blog and link back here!

Grace and peace,
Alicia

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your answers so much, Alicia! Thanks for doing them. And I absolutely love "Until We Have Faces" too!! That is such a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting ... Feedback is always helpful! {All comments are moderated and may take a short while to display.}